Justin's Mass Novice Powerlifting Program

Discuss optimal Programming practices, specific programs, and get advise on your current programming.

Justin's Mass Novice Powerlifting Program

Postby Justinsavs » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:42 pm

Nowadays I see individuals use a novice program that just doesn't work, promising PRs every session, Low volume, Squatting, Benching, and Deadlifting 2-3x per week with very low assistant work.. They then end up stuck with less than Par lifts, still bad form, and attempting to hit PRs every single session despite the poor form, and No muscle mass to support them making more progress. With the exception of a few, you never see a small guy lifting heavy weight. People generally with bigger backs, legs, traps, arms, shoulders etc, will be much stronger than the littler guy attempting Sub PAR PRs every day, week, or month.

Look at it this way, Will you ever be able to row as much as you deadlift? No probably not, but If you can get good at conventional Deadlifts, then can your ability to do heavy pendley rows also increase? In my experience... Yes

This program is a 5x per week frequency. Very VERY high volume and for good reason, but it is structured in a way where you will still make noticeable progress on all lifts and allow yourself to have some recovery from session to session.
You will Squat 3x per week, Bench Press 4x per week and Deadlift 2x per Week. You will have a lot of accessory work... and for good reason. In my opinion, 1 set of 5 deadlifts once or twice weekly does nothing for strength and muscle growth for most individuals. People may look at this as a Bodybuilding program, but how else are you supposed to put on a decent amount of size specifically for Powerlifting?

The main lifts are also easy variations that will teach the movements while making good progress on them while in the beginning using high amounts of time under tension to cause muscle hypertrophy while the user gets accustomed to the lifts. Once you stall out of the variation, then you simply go to the next step in the process, without reducing weight on the bar. This keeps the novice moving forward WITHOUT huge resets and long runnups.

Nutrition:
You should be, as a novice, either on maintenance calories or in a Calorie surplus. In my experience, I've found that there's really no reason to be in a surplus, as long as you get enough protein in your days and you're eating at maintenance calories you should be fine. If you start losing weight though then just just start increasing your calories by 1-200 every week until you stop losing weight.. This will allow you to recomposition, and allow you to get leaner without losing weight. In my experience this is what works best while staying in the lowest weight class possible.
WE DON'T WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT. But If you're over 20% Bodyfat, then yes a 500kcal Deficit would work fine with this program as long as protein is kept high and you're making sure you're recovering fine. (I do recommend getting down to a lower body weight though, Being even 20lbs overweight you feel sluggish and like crap)

Weight Progression Protocol:
You increase the weight 5lbs ONCE A WEEK. This will allow slow progress to occur, and will allow you to take your mind off the main lifts and will allow you the mental ability to focus on your accessory work without worrying about making your next big PR. If you feel like you can do more, don't worry about it, There will be a time for that. Just come in and do your job and leave. A person who starts out with a 225lb Squat, will theoretically be at 475lbs for 5 reps in a year given no injuries or setbacks. Most novice programs promise this anyways, so why not do it slower? Advanced lifters would kill for at least 20lb increase in a year.

The only movements you would focus on increasing are Your Squat, Bench Presses, Deadlifts, Romanian Dealifts/Pendley Rows, Shoulder Presses, and your Pullups. All these are 5lbs per week with the exception with the pullups. Get 30 no matter what if you can get to a place where you can do more than 3 sets of 10 on pullups, have the last set of your pullups be an AMRAP. Your other movements, Lift as much as you can do with good form for the rep ranges provided and challenge yourself with them. There are just not as many possibilities for injuries with these movements.

Stalling Protocol:
If you fail a rep On a MONDAY workout, Skip that lift in the next session, then while taking 5lbs off the bar, switch to the next variation on that FRIDAY. If you start failing on the Competition movements, remove 1 set from Squats and Bench keeping incline the same, and 2 sets from Deadlifts Every time you hit a wall in your training. This slow regression in volume will allow you to peak yourself for the next stage in programming.

If you stall out by hitting nothing more than an RPE 9.5-10 on a Wednesday or Friday after Monday's or Wednesday's session, then just stop at whatever set you're on and move to the next exercise,
MAKE SURE YOU ARE STILL DOING THE NEXT SESSION IN THE WEEK.

This is how we're going to autoregulate volume. (Don't be a gym class hero and try to attempt the next set, This is how injuries, Overtraining, and failed reps with bad technique occurs. Just skip it and wait until next time).

Make sure if you're not sure on how your sets are going, you video yourself, sometime's fatigue masks fitness and you may feel like a rep was an RPE10, but it might have really been an RPE9. Tempo and Pause squats/benches can start to feel like this over time.

If for some reason, you are sore after the weekend on a Monday, this is a sign of being overreached/overtrained. Just go ahead and do just 1 set for those problem exercises related to this soreness for that training day and move on. This will allow you to still train and make some progress,and allow you to recover. Whenever I know I am overreached, my hamstrings get unusually very sore, sometimes for days at a time. This is how we'll keep from being too fatigued.

If you stall out completely (No increases in weight after 2 weeks), you'll have to move on to more intermediate program that has more variation in volume and intensity. It is recommended that you take a 2 week break before you start a lower volume program to allow yourself to desensitize from the higher volume routine.

Planning
It is in my opinion that an individual should wait a whole year or until their intermediate stage before they should compete in a competition, This ensures they spent a good amount of time in a calorie surplus, made some improvements in technique, Put on some muscle mass, learned a good deal of info on feds, and actually was able to create a total worthy enough to stand a chance in a competition (405lb squat, 315lb Bench 500lb Deadlift).

But what do I know?. All that aside, if you care to compete at any time, then 4 weeks before the meet, switch to the competition movements keep incline benches the same, meet week take Thursday and Friday off and Compete on Saturday. Just remember to switch back to your programmed movement and take the last 20lbs off the bar and start back there when you're ready to.

These workouts should take an hour and a half AT THE MOST Every day. Rest Periods are TIMED to 3 minutes for squats and deadlifts AT THE MOST, and Presses and Rows/RDLs 2min AT THE MOST and Small muscle accessory movements (DB Rows included) 1 minute So if it takes you 30 seconds to rest before you're ready again for your deadlifts, then go ahead and do them after 30 seconds. If you're taking longer than 3 minutes, you need to make sure you're staying within your time barrier.

Now the PROGRAM:

Monday
323 Tempo Squats ====>>> 2ct Pause Squats ====>>> Squats Competition Style 5x5
3ct Paused Bench Press ====>>> 2ct Paused Bench ====>>> Competition Bench Press 5x5
313 Tempo Deadlifts ====>>> 1in 1ct Pause Deadlift ====>>> Competition Deadlift 10x3

Tuesday
3ct paused Incline Bench ====>>> 2ct paused Incline Bench====>>>Paused Incline Bench 3x8
Dumbbell Rows 3x10
Barbell Standing Shoulder Presses 10x3

Barbell Curls 3x10
Wednesday
If conventional: Barbell Pendley Rows 10x3 If Sumo: Romanian Deadlifts 3x10
Dumbbell Rear Delt flies 3x10

Thursday
3ct Paused Bench Press ====>>> 2ct Paused Bench ====>>> Competition Bench Press 5x5
Pullups 30 total reps, or 3 sets of 10
Lateral Raises 3x10
Dumbbell Curls 3x10

Friday
323 Tempo Squat 5x5
3ct Incline Bench ====>>> 2ct Incline Bench====>>> Incline Bench 3x8
313 Tempo Deadlifts ====>>> 1in 1ct Pause Deadlift ====>>> Competition Deadlift 10x3

Hope this program is useful for your guys. So far 2 individuals are doing a variation of this program and if you'd like to jump on and try, go ahead! It is a lot of volume so take HEED. More advanced individuals might benefit but I doubt it.
Need Programming? Fully Customizable
$10 a week Offseason Programming
$15 a week Peaking programming starting at week 13
$30 for 4 week blocks

Email me at JNAndersonCoaching@gmail.com!
Justinsavs

Re: Justin's Mass Novice Powerlifting Program

Postby Justinsavs » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:19 am

Made a mistake, on the Friday, it is the same as Monday's and Wednesday's Squats for the variations. So Same squats all 3 days.
$30 for 4 week blocks

Justinsavs

Postby Feon2 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:06 pm

This is a kinda unique program.

But what does that mean?

You will be doing 323 tempo squats 5x5 + 2ct pause squats 5x5 + comp squats 5x5 ?
Feon2

Postby Justinsavs » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:07 pm

Feon2 wrote:This is a kinda unique program.

But what does that mean?

You will be doing 323 tempo squats 5x5 + 2ct pause squats 5x5 + comp squats 5x5 ?

When you stall out of tempo squats, you go to pause squats, when you stall out of pause squats, you go to your competition squat and finish out the progression. When you finally stall with the rep range on the competition style squats, you remove 1 set and try the same weight again the next week until you are doing 2 sets of 5 on squats and Bench Press and 3x3 on Deadlifts

It explains it a bit better in the stalling protocol if you read it.
$30 for 4 week blocks

Justinsavs

Postby Feon2 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:01 pm

It's kinda cool, because tempo squats or benches will be kinda good for learning the right technique for the lifts.

It's cool that there are some people doing the program. Post the results here when you can!
Feon2

Postby danielsaez0713 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:29 pm

I don't think its very very high volume. I think its the correct amount for a novice. I don't agree with everything, but its a hell of a lot better than PNP and every other novice program I've seen on the internet. Good job dude. Thanks for putting this out there for people to use.
danielsaez0713

Postby bigcrayon » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:12 am

would this work for someone whose not 100% a novice but still has shit lifts? ie, 240 bench, 350 squat, 405 dead.
bigcrayon

Postby Justinsavs » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:48 am

Yes, it should help increase your lifts, but mainly it will help those who want much more muscle mass to start with and build a good solid foundation of muscle and technique. If you do it, to keep boredom at bay,add some of your own accessory work, make it a hard fun workout. Your deadlift will probably explode on this program because of the volume. It will also peak you in the end of the program for more intermediate type lifting when you're ready.

One thing people don't like about it is that it will probably take you a good 3-6 months to get yourself to the competition variants if you're still a novice. If you complete the program in exactly 1 year, Theoredically you'll be stronger because you increased your lifts 260lbs by the end of the year... If you go further than that, well, that's more progress and more time you can spend on building your work capacity through extra accessory work.

Short answer: Yes
Sorta Long answer: If you feel like competing anytime soon this wouldn't work very well.
$30 for 4 week blocks

Justinsavs

Postby The Cheat » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:45 am

Is that 10 sets of 3 on the deadlifts? Trying to figure out how you can keep sessions under an hour and a half with the suggested rest periods. 10 sets of deads with 3 mins rest in between is 30-40mins alone.
Meh!
The Cheat

Postby Justinsavs » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:38 am

The Cheat wrote:Is that 10 sets of 3 on the deadlifts? Trying to figure out how you can keep sessions under an hour and a half with the suggested rest periods. 10 sets of deads with 3 mins rest in between is 30-40mins alone.

You are right. 1.5 hours is really pushing the limits of this. You gotta think though, if you were doing 5x5 squats, that's 15-20 minutes, then a bench press at 2min per rest that's only 10-15 min. This all is roughly 55-75min just to get your base exercises down, then finish your accessory work in 15min. This is all theoretical and I really push having a timer for your rests. The beginning of the program you can keep the rests lower because the weight is easier, which will allow you to keep the sessions short or you can add more accessory work.
$30 for 4 week blocks

Justinsavs

Next

Return to Programming